The functions of the Narcotics and Controlled Substances Directorate are :
- Controls and documents the importation, distribution and use of Narcotics, Psychotropic substances and chemicals.
- Promotes activities geared towards reduction of demand for psychoactive drugs as well as rational use of drugs in general.
- Ensures Nigeria’s obligation under the International Drug Treaties with respect to licit transactions in Narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances are fulfilled.
- Ensures that narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances are available only for medical and scientific purposes.
- Carry out public enlightenment and education activities on drug abuse.
- Maintains close collaboration with the NDLEA and liaise with the United Nations Office for Drugs Control and Crime Prevention (UNODCCP).